---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: david nicosia <daven1...@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, May 13, 2015 at 7:34 PM
Subject: [cayugabirds-l] Montezuma and Northern Cayuga Lake 5/13/15
To: "Cayugabirds-L L." <cayugabirds-l@cornell.edu>

I did a quick trip to Montezuma and vicinity today. Notable birds...
wildlife drive to the left of Larue's in the main pool there are
likely hundreds if not more shorebirds all very distant. I was able to ID
the following species...  LEAST SANDPIPER, LESSER YELLOWLEGS, GREATER
YELLOWLEGS, DUNLIN, SEMIPALMATED PLOVER and KILLDEER.  The CANVASBACK
continues on
the mound farther up to the left. I recall one in a similar location last
year at this time. Same bird? or an injured bird? Hopefully the former. 3
SNOW GEESE with some canadas not far from where the carp crossing is. There
was also a nice male NORTHERN SHOVELOR. A fairly close SOLITARY SANDPIPER
with a LEAST SANDPIPER right by road to the left of Benning Marsh. Also had
a gorgeous male NORTHERN HARRIER over the marsh near the thruway. Also had
2 male BLUE-WINGED TEAL in the pond near the end to the left. 54 species
total on wildlife drive.

Carncross Road had 3 BLACK-BELLIED PLOVERS that flew in and landed near a
bunch of CASPIAN TERNS. There were also at least 1 SEMIPALMATED PLOVER
(heard) and 1 LEAST SANDPIPER (heard), many yellowlegs and 1 SPOTTED
SANDPIPER.

East Road had one very rusty SANDHILL CRANE.

At Frontenac Marina there were 66 COMMON TERNS with 19 CASPIAN TERNS!! That
is the most COTE I have ever had in the Cayuga basin at once.

Some select photos can be found here...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/davenicosia/sets/72157650436621584

Dave Nicosia
Welcome and Basics
Rules and Information
Subscribe, Configuration and Leave
*Archives:*
The Mail Archive
Surfbirds
BirdingOnThe.Net
*Please submit your observations to eBird!*