A couple of obviously new migrants are singing in my yard. One is a Blackpoll
Warbler (I always feel a slight resistance to putting "Warbler" after the name
"Blackpoll". It feels as if one were to write "Redpoll Finch")

The other is a MOURNING WARBLER. Although its rich rolling song left no room
for doubt about the singers's identity, I do love to see this bird, so I worked
hard to obtain a view. It was skulking in a deep thicket, and clearly avoiding
me. On hands and knees I entered a tunnel under the arching canes, and sat
waiting, heedless of ticks, until the bird moved through a leafless multiflora
rose tangle in the last throes of rose rosette disease, and I could see its
dark eye watching me warily. Marvelous!

Lots of dead and dying multiflora rose here. My glee is tempered by the
expectation that other invasive shrubs will quickly fill the void, and that
native roses will suffer too. Interestingly I've found one still-healthy
multiflora rose bush that is completely thornless (!), and I feel more friendly
toward it for that reason. I find myself hoping that it will not succumb to the
disease too soon...

-Geo