My dog and I took a walk in Michigan Hollow this morning. Lots of birds are in
there. I had a couple of Winter Wrens, and I found two more Acadian Flycatchers
singing: one about a third of a mile upstream from the previously mentioned
spot, and another about a third of a mile above that; each in hemlock-shaded
narrows.  A handful of Least Flycatchers were also distributed along the creek,
and I had two Alder Flycatchers, but no Willow or Yellow-bellied yet, nor Wood
Pewee. The understructure of the nice new footbridge at Diane's Crossing seems
to have been claimed by Phoebes. The hawthorns alongside the marsh held just
one lingering Tennessee Warbler. The thunder pumper was silent. I've heard them
there into early June, so who knows?

Canada Warblers were present all along our walk, so I had the opportunity to
reflect that a mnemonic phrase is not just a device for retrieving a bird song
from memory, it also turns up the gain on the associated detector.

-Geo Kloppel