Hi all,

Mundy Winter Wren seem to continue in Mundy. Yesterday he serenaded me with his
lovely song for quite some 10 minutes or so. Hope he has found a partner and
has been successful in raising a family.  In my yard baby House Wrens are going
nuts. They seem to follow their parents like crazy and parents scold me as soon
as I get out of the house.  Chimney swifts from the Human Resources building
also have fledged young. I see them flying around twittering and parents feed
them in flight from my office window.

Yesterday evening I went to  Salmon Creek in the hopes of recording some birds.
My hopes were squashed by the non-stop cars that passed the area and also a
loud lawn mower heard for more than half a mile killed my appetite for
recording.  So I ended up just looking for birds.

I found a pair of juvenile Sapsuckers feeding on a sap holes in a walnut tree,
this is the first time I have seen them on walnuts.  A  couple of butterflies
and a hummingbird also seem to be exploiting the sap holes.  I found a nest of
a Red-bellied Woodpecker,  the hole was just below a large bracket mushroom
which looked like made a nice roof for the nest like you see in cartoon movies.
 I wonder if the woodpeckers chose to make hole specifically under toads
umbrella or it was just a coincidence.  I think I heard a couple of calls of
ACADIAN FLYCATCHER from the typical location along the small stream while I was
rolling down the hill slowly in my car. When I stopped to listen specifically
it never called again.

There were  Veery, Wood Thrushes, Scarlet Tanagers, Rose-breasted Grosbeaks,
Indigo Bunting, Pileated Woodpecker and a Peewee. Also Yellow Warbler and
Chestnut-sided Warblers. But I missed the familiar Blue-winged warbler,
Mourning Warbler, Redstarts, Cerulean and Cuckoos which used to be there in the
past.

Then I drove via French Hill Road and Holden road to Brown Hill Road, which
used to have abundant Savannah Sparrows. I saw only one Savannah Sparrow on the
road and no Grasshopper sparrows. On Gulf Road, I came across several
Chestnut-sided and Am. Redstarts and Wood Thrushes.

The area has changed a whole lot and traffic seemed to have increased a fair
bit in these locations. But it was still nice to see some of the familiar
friends along the road.

Cheers

Meena

Meena Haribal