Speaking of compliant Phoebes, I walked to Sherwood Platform at lunch and met
(first time) a visitor/birder from NYC. As he was turning to leave and I was
approaching, I spotted a Phoebe on the hand rail and pointed it out to him. It
was 5’ away. Then it hopped to a closer post and eventually to about 3’ from
us. We remarked that it must be a juvenile though it was in full feather. Then
it landed on the floor of the platform in the hot sun and spread its wings and
squashed its belly down, opened its mouth and started sunning. We had to walk
around it (!) to get back to the rail to look for herons and kingbirds, etc. It
finally flew into the bushes at its own good time.

I have often thought of tethering a flycatcher to my hat to ward off
mosquitoes...

ChrisP

Chris Pelkie
Information/Data Manager; IT Support