To Pete,
To the few (I hope) others who receive my CayugaBirds postings garbled,
To anyone who knows someone in that situation and is willing to forward this
info to them, and
To anyone who understands and/or is willing to fix the problem:

I have heard before that a few people in some situations only get garble from
me via CayugaBirds-L. Others obviously are able to read the messages perfectly
well, so these people do not understand the issue.

Although I like to think of myself as a pretty good birder and writer, I am not
a technical computer person.

I know that what I type shows up on my keyboard with only the usual number of
typos. When I send it, it gets communicated and transformed numerous times by
my software, then by my internet service, then by Cornell's "lyris" system of
listservs, then in Pete's case by the ABA's collection of CayugaBirds-L
postings, then by whatever internet sevice you use, by whatever device you are
receiving it on and the software it uses. All of these were designed by good
but flawed people working for good but flawed companies who sort of care about
you and me in a general way, but not specifically enough to have solved this
problem yet. Or maybe they deliberately created the problem because it made
something else more convenient, because it doesn't affect enough people who
make enough noise yet.

The system works for most people, and what I receive looks as good to me as
when I sent it out. Yet something deep on my end of the chain is incompatible
with something deep on your end if it doesn't work for you. It doesn't seem to
be a Cornell problem necessarily. Rather it seems to be how somebody else is
handling messages from Cornell and getting them to you.

Is it possible that I could change something and make it better for you?
Probably, since other people are able to send messages which don't arrive to
you garbled. However, I have neither the expertise to diagnose the problem, nor
the money to buy new stuff, nor the desire to change an email and
record-keeping system that mostly works for me. Sorry. Of course you can wait
hopefully until my system irrevocably crashes or is made incompatible with the
rest of the world I care about. Then I will have to buy something new, which
may or may not work better.

Would Cornell be able to figure out and solve the problem? Doubtless they have
experts, but their service mostly works for their actual subscribers (which
seems not to directly include you), so they may not be interested, but one
could ask. You could start with the CayugaBirds-L manager Chris Tessaglia-Hymes
(cth4 at cornell dot edu) and see what he says or who he connects you with. For
a head start I copied this email to him.

Maybe the ABA folks should be asked what they are doing to my posts. It seems
pretty irresponsible of them to garble or delete my messages while claiming
they are providing a record.

Perhaps you could try something other than the ABA's "service". For instance,
at the bottom of every CayugaBirds-L post there is a link to ARCHIVES. Choice
#1 works for me, but of course that proves nothing because I never had a
problem reading my posts. Anyway how about looking here:

http://www.mail-archive.com/cayugabirds-l@cornell.edu/maillist.html

I hope this direct email to you works, and I hope to see you tomorrow at
Knox-Marsellus.

--Dave Nutter