Hi Cayugabirders,

Hope that all is well and that you’ve been enjoying the migrant arrivals from
the frontal passage over the past day or so. It has certainly been noticeable
for nocturnal migration (both on radar and for flight calls), and the roving
mixed migrant flocks are a good indicator that things are changing on the
ground as well. ’Tis the season.

With the fantastically changing avian landscape throughout September, you never
know what you’ll find when you’re out and about. This makes it one of the most
enjoyable months of birding (for me at least), and a good time to explore new
areas! New areas, for example, like those for Avicaching
(http://ebird.org/content/ebird/avicaching/).

Avicachers have already reported 17 species of warblers over the past 10 days
from these locations scattered across Tompkins and Cortland Counties, including
Hooded, Cape May, Bay-breasted, and lots of other fun species. Many of the
Avicaching locations are well-situated along forest edges, giving you a good
chance of encountering wandering migrant flocks. With the crispness of fall in
the morning air, and birds on the wing overhead, do you really need another
reason to head out birding?

In case you do, Avicaching also gives you a chance to win a free pair of
binoculars, explore new areas, and directly contribute to science—helping
improve our local knowledge of bird distributions through your sightings.
Please let me know if you have any questions about the Avicaching project—most
anything you need to know can be found in the above link.

Hope to see you out there!

Best,
Ian

--