Read about this past weekend's walks led by Cayuga Bird Club volunteers.
Getting out in  your warm clothes and bringing your nature enthusiasm is a
great way to get through the winter.  Every Saturday and Sunday, now at 9.
If you have any questions feel free to get in touch with me.  Linda Orkin,
Ithaca, NY

Diane Morton's walk on Saturday at Sapsucker Woods was well-attended by 15
people.  Read her report here...

Given the cold weather, I was pleasantly surprised at the number of people
who came on this morning's bird walk. Most were from out of state--
Michigan, Minnesota, Massachusetts. All of the club's binoculars were put
to use. We only needed the scope once, for seeing a single Wood Duck out on
the main pond. Other Wood Ducks were heard flying by, but out on the pond
only Mallards and a few Canada Geese were visible. Best sighting-- a flock
of Ruby-crowned Kinglets and Yellow-Rumped Warblers very close to the path
for all to see.

Suan Hsi Yong's walk on Sunday with our first flurries had 4 people come
out.  And enjoy!

After overnight temps dipped below freezing, some morning sun brought
optimism to the four attendees today. Wood ducks gathered in good numbers
in the far pond, giving good scope views from various vantages. Fresh signs
of beaver damage were seen at various spots. A kingfisher perched briefly
while white-throated sparrows flitted through the trees. Approaching
Sherwood Platform, we found a good flock of yellow-rumped warblers and
ruby-crowned kinglets, and beyond them in the leaf litter were a foraging
group of rusty blackbirds who eventually emerged into the trees to reveal
their numbers to be in the dozens. A cooper's hawk patrolled the ponds
giving brief looks, and a great blue heron eventually landed on a snag
overlooking the wood ducks and mallards. It was around then that the
sleetstorm began; it was a surreal experience walking through the woods
sounding like heavy rain, but being pelted only by small balls of sleet
bouncing off and gathering atop leaves and collected by cobwebs. Another
pleasant morning of birding in what would normally be considered bad
weather.
--
Veganism is simply the acknowledgment that a replaceable and fleeting
pleasure isn't more valuable than someone's life and liberty.

If you permit
this evil, what is the good
of the good of your life?

-Stanley Kunitz...