We have the go-ahead for another shorebird walk this Sunday, 24 July, at
Montezuma NWR, where we will be "Authorized Personnel" beyond the signs and
onto the dikes around Knox-Marsellus and Puddler Marshes.

Folks unfamiliar with the area can meet at the Visitor Center off NYS-5/US-20,
which we will leave promptly at 7am, caravanning to the overlook on East Road
(here: 43.0115,-76.7588), arriving at 7:15am. From there we will walk as a
group down the hill and onto the dikes where refuge vehicles drive. There we
will spend perhaps 3 hours enjoying all birds but concentrating on the
shorebirds.

If you have them, please bring a field guide, binoculars, and a spotting scope.
If you lack any of these, but want to learn about shorebirds, please join us
anyway. A few other people with scopes and experience have volunteered to help
teach about the birds we hope to see. I encourage everyone to share what they
see and hear, especially if they don't yet know the ID.

It's an easy walk with lots of standing around, out in the weather, with some
tall weeds around. There is no fee.

For those inclined to study, this past Sunday we saw:

Killdeer
Semipalmated Plover
Spotted Sandpiper
Solitary Sandpiper
Lesser Yellowlegs
Least Sandpiper

Semipalmated Sandpiper

Pectoral Sandpiper

Short-billed Dowitcher

Greater Yellowlegs was in the area, but I didn't see it on the walk.
Long-billed Dowitcher, Wilson's Phalarope, and a Black-necked Stilt had been
reported recently but not on Sunday. Several additional species are likely to
show up as the southbound migration continues.