From: bounce-120487691-3494...@list.cornell.edu
[mailto:bounce-120487691-3494...@list.cornell.edu] On Behalf Of Mark Chao
Sent: Sunday, May 15, 2016 11:50 AM
To: CAYUGABIRDS-L
Subject: [cayugabirds-l] Sapsucker Woods, Sun 5/15

I thought that the birding was just as good in the sheltered wooded areas of
Sapsucker Woods on Sunday as it was under much more temperate conditions on
Saturday.  Here are some highlights.

* LINCOLN’S SPARROW along the edge of the small pond by the maintenance
building, East Trail

* Thirteen warbler species, including CANADA (1 silent M, Wilson Trail North),
PALM, BLACK-THROATED BLUE (1 F, aforementioned pond edge along East Trail),
BLACK-THROATED GREEN (1 F, Wilson/Severinghaus), MAGNOLIA (1 M and 1 F, Wilson
North), CHESTNUT-SIDED (Wilson North), NORTHERN PARULA (2 singing, north end of
Woodleton Boardwalk), and several YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLERS throughout

* Six male and four female WOOD DUCKS together on the main pond, plus two pairs
in the woods, one on each side of the road

* Two Blue Jays giving quiet alarm calls and converging tentatively near an
American Mink

* A singing Baltimore Oriole in female-like plumage.   The Birds of North
America account says that second-year males in subadult plumage sing, and adult
females sing too, but both only rarely.

And here in northeast Ithaca, my wife Miyoko “The Bluebird Whisperer” Chu saw
an adult female EASTERN BLUEBIRD perched out in our yard this morning.  So
Miyoko ran out and took a quick look inside this bird’s nest box.  There are
five chalk-blue eggs in the nest!

Mark Chao

Subscribe, Configuration and
The Mail