I am seeing similar woodpecker behavior today. A female Downy has been clinging
stock still to the top of a nearly empty suet feeder for the better part of an
hour, and not even in a place where she can feed.  No other birds are at our
feeder area, nor that I can see around feeders next door. I see no hawks (nor
crows) as I look out other windows, but I know there is a Merlin somewhere in
the neighborhood, because I saw it perched atop a tree a couple blocks away as
I walked home from Greenstar at quarter to twelve. I have seen a woodpecker
stay motionless before as if to hide from predators, but I think perhaps this
one is just resting.

Also to address your question, Sandy, I can't recall ever seeing a crow chase
or attack a Downy Woodpecker.

--Dave Nutter