Yesterday around 7pm, I saw three sandpipers on the rocky shore of Fall
Creek near the Cascadilla Boat house.  I think they were juvenile Spotted
Sandpipers:  bobbing tails, pink/orange bills with a dark tip on the bill,
thrush-like markings on the upper breast, soft peeping calls, flew off
toward Jetty Woods.  Last year, they hung out on the jetty where the
concrete pebbles are loose.

After that, I watched the 154+ cormorants settling in for the night on the
top of the sycamores over at Jetty woods; I couldn't help but be curious
how a handful of them would suddenly leave their roost, bolting upstream
high above the creek, and then make a sharp u-turn near the bridges, and
then glide back to the roost.  Then another handful would leave and do the
same thing.  This went on for about twenty minutes, and I wondered if it
was just juveniles who did this; but then all of a sudden, the entire tree
load of cormorants (about 116, leaving the dead one which is still in the
tree) took off and did the exact same thing as the previous cormorants.  It
seemed to me that they were enjoying the fun of flying as fast as they
could with the wind (upstream) and then gliding back on the wind.

I couldn't help by see how much that was a bit like the fun that can be had
when kayaking white water, but in reverse:  paddle as hard as you can
against the current, then make a sharp u-turn, and go as fast as you can
with the current.  Or even a bike:  peddle hard up a long windy road, then
coast as fast as you can down the other side.