I didn’t realize until after I sent my message that Kevin McGowan had already
sent a message. It sounds like the bird was somewhat closer for us, and our
lighting was a bit better. We only had a strong wind from our backs and a bit
of spitting rain, not a downpour. Ann & I found that by using a window mount on
each passenger side window of her car we could steady our scopes better and not
be in the rain. Ann & Wade also walked along the driveway to gate where she
used her scope on her tripod and Wade used his camera with a fairly big lens.

Kevin McGowan thought the bird was a non-breeding adult. I am interested in
why. There may have been clues to its age that I overlooked. I think we were
close enough that we should have seen either the pink facial skin of a
non-breeding adult White-faced or the pale outline around the brown skin of a
non-breeding adult Glossy. I think the feathering encroached more closely
around a small dark facial area, like on the juvenile heads which Sibley shows,
although this bird was old enough that the bill had changed to a single color.
Perhaps the red eye of a non-breeding adult White-faced would have required
more light for us to see, but none of us noticed it, although we were looking.

- - Dave Nutter