This morning during a home school student migration tour, we spotted a FOY (for
me!) pied-billed grebe actively feeding in the Crane Unit, off of VanDyne Spoor
Rd, Savannah, Wayne County. The side of the road that the grebe was on is
considered Refuge lands, and the other side is state land. Great habitat!

Lot's of other ducks present (mainly N. Pintail), red-winged blackbirds, gulls
(Larus sp.), eagles soaring around.

AND a lot of muskrat activity. Frank with the DEC told me that if I'm seeing
them on land and active like that, their like "runners", or the individuals who
have been run off by their family unit. Young from last year, likely. It's
really evident pre-growing season how many muskrat huts are actually out in any
given marsh.

Great sightings for the kids and myself!

Alyssa Johnson
Environmental Educator
Montezuma Audubon Center
2295 State Route 89