I've still got a few Fox Sparrows, too. I can't ever remember waking up to them
singing in my yard for over a week before. It always seemed that a few would be
present a few days in the spring and fall, and that was it.

No doubt our lingering winter is to blame. They don't go far south for the
winter, but they go pretty far north to breed, so it makes sense that they
should be aware of local weather and be cautious before they make the final
move.

A fun new addition to the Merlin app (free!) for your phone is that when you
browse birds in a specific area, you see bar charts of the likelihood of
occurrence for the whole calendar year. You can find the same information in
eBird, but it takes more finagling to find it there. In Merlin, go to "Explore
Birds" from the main screen, go up to the icon at the top that looks like lines
and spots, click "Likely Birds," then filter by your current location and date.
I suggest using "Family - Most Likely." That puts all the sparrows together,
all the ducks, etc. Scroll down to the sparrows, and there, 11th on the list is
Fox Sparrow. You can see by the bar chart that it's never abundant, but that
it's usually seen in March and April, and that we're getting to the end of the
narrow window when they normally occur.

If you browse the sparrows, you see that the next most/least likely sparrow
here this time of year is White-crowned. But, comparing the two bar charts
shows that Fox Sparrows should be on their way out, while White-crowns should
just be coming in.

Also interesting, if you browse farther down the list, is that we have just
gone through the peak time of Vesper Sparrow reports. And, unlike the other two
species, they breed here! But, apparently they show up more on eBird checklists
during April as they arrive and can't get to their breeding grounds yet, what
with the snow and all, and show up in parking lots and roadsides the way they
have done this last week or two. There have been dozens of Vesper Sparrow
reports all over the county this last week and a half, and that perfectly
reflects the bar chart in Merlin based on ebird checklists.

I've been a half-hearted endorser of Merlin over the last few years because,
frankly, I don't need the help identifying birds. But, the app is becoming much
more than what it started as, and it's growing all the time. It's now one of
the fastest and easiest portals to finding what birds are to be expected at a
specific time of year, pretty much everywhere in the world. Soon it is going to
be a reference source for birds all over the world, with photos, songs, and
maps. Already it covers all of the US and Canada, Mexico, and most of Central
America, as well as parts of Colombia and northwestern Europe. And it's growing
every day.

I did a West Coast business trip in February, and I used Merlin to tell me what
birds to expect in the places I visited. I went to Oregon, and Merlin told me
that Acorn Woodpeckers would be common in Medford, west of the Cascade
Mountains, but would be rare in Klamath Falls, east of the mountains. It told
me that I'd be seeing California Quail all along most of my drive to San Diego,
but when I went to Joshua Tree National Park, I would be seeing Gambel's Quail.

So, just a head's up to the birding community. The Cornell Lab's Merin app is
not just some cute toy for beginners. (Although, it did get my bird-averse
sister to start liking looking at birds.) It's becoming a powerful tool for
traveling birders to use all over the world. Currently, it only has photos,
maps, and information for the areas I mentioned above. But, it already can give
you a list of the most likely birds you will see anywhere on earth. Well,
anywhere there are eBird checklists. But, every eBird checklist you put in from
some exotic locale helps the program refine its results and improve the
accuracy of its predictions. And, every photo you upload to an eBird checklist
from a foreign location gets Merlin closer to being able to identify that
species from photos, and closer to having photos available in the app.

Latin America has an avid and active birding presence, so we can expect big
strides there in the near future. But, it also has the most diverse and complex
suite of birds on the planet, so, that's a hurdle. I personally hope that
southern and eastern Europe will be covered completely soon (I have a trip
there scheduled in late June), but it seems that India is going to jump ahead
in the line ahead of other expected regions.

Indian birders have enthusiastically embraced eBird the last couple of years,
and they're pumping sightings and photos into the database. I spoke to someone
in Oregon at the bird festival I was attending (Winter Wings) who was from
India. He wanted to show me his photos from birding in India (very nice), and I
told him to put them into checklists in eBird because every photo uploaded for
a species (especially good ones like his) put Merin a step closer to getting
the identification program to being able to ID it, but also that every photo
gets the bird guide portion closer to being able to offer it to the regular
folks. He responded that he thought that was awesome, and that he knew that the
people in the bird clubs in India would be excited to contribute.

So, as New Yorkers say, Excelsior! Ever upward! Honestly, I've been birding
since the lat 1960s and early 1970s, about 50 years. There has never been such
a great time to be a birder as right now. You can get spectacular binoculars
and scopes for relatively cheap. Birding references are abundant (including the
courses I've created at https://academy.allaboutbirds.org/course-list/). You
can find out almost real-time information about what rare birds are where. You
have information on your phone about what birds are likely anywhere on earth,
and you can actually have your phone make a tentative identification from a
photo you took with that phone. As he said in the Princess Bride,
"Inconceivable!" We may very well be living in the best of all conceivable
worlds.

Kevin

Ithaca, NY

Learn More About Birds with These Courses | Bird Academy
...<https://academy.allaboutbirds.org/course-list/>
academy.allaboutbirds.org
Learn More About Birds with These Courses. Broaden your understanding of birds
with courses for all knowledge levels. Learn everything—from birding basics to
comprehensive ornithology