Hi Ken and all,

A good candidate marsh for Harrier nesting is just west of the capped landfill,
beside the long-abandoned Center Schoolhouse Road. I’ve seen female Harriers in
there during past breeding seasons. Also Virginia Rails In there. The marsh
itself is Tompkins County property. The property line is the midline of the old
road. The road is all grown-in, nearly obliterated. You can see it on the USGS
West Danby quad. It’s also featured in the 1981 book:

Where to Find Birds in New York State: The Top 500 Sites
By Susan Roney Drennan

Besides that location and the known pair in Michigan Hollow Marsh, yet another
Danby marsh has hosted nesting Harriers not too many years back: the marsh
across 96B from the north end of South Danby Road. A friend of mine who lives
just above there on Travor Road has seen a Harrier a few times this spring, so
I’m kinda curious about whether they might still breed there.

I haven’t visited the Worm-eating Warblers since mid-May. I usually go to a
different place, just below the _north_ pinnacle, which is about half a mile
from the central pinnacle familiar to hikers on the Abbott’s Loop Trail. Maybe
I can stop by in a day or two, see what they’re up to...

-Geo