The pair of EVENING GROSBEAKS was present between 11:30am & noon, in the Ash
Tree on the corner a couple times, but spending more time around the green
feeder on a pole in the back yard, visible through a mostly bare tree from
Mineah near the culvert. The feeder is designed for small birds, and it shuts
off access to the seeds if too much weight is on the perch rail, such as a big,
scary, voracious Common Grackle or Blue Jay. An Evening Grosbeak does not weigh
too much. However, they are gregarious. When the male was alone he could feed,
but when the female fluttered down and he instantly fed her what he already had
in his bill, he turned back to find there was no more food available. The
Grosbeaks perch in various places nearby, or on top, and they keep trying the
feeding perch, which works individually until a Black-capped Chickadee arrives
to briefly grab a seed. Then the hatch closes, and does not reopen until the
Grosbeak leaves. So the Evening Grosbeaks are finding seeds in the grass below.

- - Dave Nutter