I saw Amelia Otis’ photo from 4 Jan at the Cornell compost piles, and it
definitely looks like a Black Vulture to me. That’s another Count Week species.

Chris Wood saw an Iceland Gull fly over Monkey Run south on 4 Jan. And that’s
one more Count Week species.

There was also an eBird report on 4 Jan of a Red-headed Woodpecker around East
Shore Park or Stewart Park (changed report without a more specific location).
This report lacked an actual description, which to me is needed for a rare
bird, only claiming it agreed with Sibley in wing and call. However it also
said the bird was identified in flight, and that it was a female, and as far as
I know, Red-headed Woodpeckers cannot be sexed in the field, or at least I
haven’t seen clues in Sibley. So my guess is that there was some error here,
either in species name or reading how the illustrations were labeled. Actual
descriptions would help sort it out. Meanwhile, I am awaiting a more convincing
report before adding this species to the 2019 Basin Bird List or recommending
it be included as a Count Week bird.

- - Dave Nutter