There are few things more pathetic than a Pine Warbler in a snow storm on the
ground below your feeder picking at microscopic bits, but that is what spring
sometimes gives us. Karen and I maintain a meal worm culture for those
occasions when some stressed critter would like to eat a few"worms". I spread a
cup from the culture tank on the ground below a feeder, not knowing if the
warbler would ever come back, and see the new stuff, and fly down to the pile
of debri, and pick up a worm. Magic does happen and the wrabler did fly down
and hop to the pile of debri, and then fly up to the flowering crab. I got a
view of the bird with a meal worm in its peak as it stuck it into crevacises in
the bark and shredded it into bite sized portions. I imagine that one worm will
keep it warm through the night, and then tomorrow is supposed to be warmer. My
karma is bright.

John