All,

We had another very successful shorebird walk today Sunday August 25th along
the dike between Knox-Marsellus Marsh and Puddler’s marsh. Between 715 am
and 200 pm, we had a total of 70 people from different bird clubs around
the area. I began with the group mostly  from the Cayuga Bird Club. The
Rochester Birding Association and Rochester Young Birder’s club met up with
us around 9-10 am. I birded with these groups until around 2 pm as the
Cayuga Group left around noon.  This was the highest attendance I have ever
experienced with these shorebird walks. I would like to thank all those who
brought their expertise and assisted.  We were lucky to have some "world
class" birding talent with us from the Lab of O as Dave Nutter mentioned in
his email.  We also had many scopes which helped get people on birds. The
success was because of the cooperative effort of all. Thank you!

Now onto the birds…Rarities included continuing AMERICAN WHITE PELICAN in
the morning which took off before 10 am. LAUGHING GULL dropped back in with
the gulls in KM marsh during the early afternoon. As for shorebirds there
were more than I saw Friday. The habitat is getting better with more
mudflats than Friday. Thanks to Linda Ziemba who has worked to prepare the
habitat for shorebirds. Its working!

Ann Mitchell got on a BAIRD’S SANDPIPER, Dr. Shawn Billerman got on a
molting AMERICAN GOLDEN-PLOVER, and Dave Nutter found the first of several
STILT SANDPIPERS. There were many SHORT-BILLED DOWITCHERS, a few possible
LONG-BILLED candidates that no one could confirm. There were many
yellowlegs of both species with the GREATER outnumbering the LESSER. LEAST
and SEMIPALMATED SANDPIPERS were all over. We also had several PECTORAL
SANDPIPERS. Pat Martin and I got on a WHITE-RUMPED SANDPIPER that flew
fairly close to the dike near some dowitchers. The white rump in flight was
a give away. The bird was slate gray, longer than nearby SESAs, and primary
projection past tail.  This bird didn’t last long as it disappeared among a
bunch peeps that flew by. The BAIRD’S was re-found by Jay McGowan later in
the morning. Unfortunately we didn’t refind the White-rumped. There were
also 2 SPOTTED SANDPIPERS at the beginning of the canal and 1 BLACK-BELLIED
PLOVER in transitional plumage. Jay found a WILSON’S SNIPE in flight and we
had both KILLDEER and SEMIPALMATED PLOVERS. This makes 15 species of
shorebirds! Later with the Rochester Birding Group many of the shorebirds
came closer to the dike including the AMERICAN GOLDEN-PLOVER. This bird was
joined by another golden-plover. We had great views of these birds and
other of the above species. Unfortunately the BAIRD’S SANDPIPER was not
re-found this time.

Jay McGowan put together a comprehensive list that totaled 91 species which
can be found here…

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S59248832

I did my own list because I stayed later with the Rochester group until
about 2 pm. I totaled 75 species but had 4 additional species that were not
seen on Jay’s list. That makes at least 95 species!

My list is here…  https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S59252385

the birds I had in addition to the 91 species were the LAUGHING GULL(landed
on mudflat early afternoon), HAIRY WOODPECKER , BLUE JAY and NORTHERN
FLICKER  (woods by beginning of trail on way out early afternoon).  These
birds were heard only.

I was wondering if we could ever get to 100 species collectively and in the
coming weeks with passerine migration picking up, shorebirds still coming
through and of course waterfowl and waders I bet it will happen. There is
tremendous diversity in this marsh and these walks are so great in getting
people to learn about and appreciate our birds. Thanks again to Andrea and
Linda from Montezuma!

Best,

Dave Nicosia