Debris is seed crumbs and other waste that collects in the nooks and
crannies of bird feeders. It harbors bacteria. Project FeederWatch did a
blog post about this paper last year. You can see a summary of the research
and what it says about cleaning your feeders here:
https://feederwatch.org/blog/cleaning-preventing-disease/

Anne Marie Johnson