I wonder if there has been some mis-intepretation either in the article or by
subsequent readers.  Cowbird young, like other passerines, leave the nest in
the care of parents (foster or otherwise) and live outside the nest from then
on.  (OK individuals may hop outside during the day and return at night for the
day or two over which they fledge.)  Care for cowbirds in the fledgling stage
lasts a similar time to their relatives, red-winged blackbirds and other
smallish icterids.  They should be fed and be following or calling to parents
over the next 12-14 days, not joining older cowbirds.  Teenagers would be
perhaps yearling cowbirds?  It is later, in summer and fall, when young
cowbirds are independent of parents, that they flock up with other cowbirds and
blackbirds.

I haven’t heard anything about 3 am gatherings from Meredith or her students.
Seems pretty dark for any such passerine to be moving.  West and King studied
them in aviaries and it could be that researchers got up at 3 am to set up and
be there when singing started to happen.  But in any case, cowbird song
learning is a fascinating situation where the basic songs are clearly not
learned from parents during late nestling or early fledgling periods, i.e.
develop “innately”, but  are socially modified in a number of ways, feedback
from female cowbirds and from competing male cowbirds both.  West and King
published several really nice overviews in accessible papers, Scientific
American or American Scientist, I believe.

By the way, there is at least one video-documented report of a hatchling
cowbird behaving like cuckoos and butting host eggs out of the nest.

Anne B Clark
147 Hile School Rd
Freeville, NY 13068
607-222-0905