Subject: Sedge Wren, Bluegrass Lane, Ithaca
From: Jay McGowan <jw...@cornell.edu>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2020 11:46:35 -0400

Hi all,
I found a singing SEDGE WREN at the Bluegrass Lane Natural Area in
Northeast Ithaca last night just before dusk. This morning it was singing
in the same field again, though often distant and hard to hear from the
road. It's in the weedy field on the west side of Bluegrass Lane just a bit
south from the entrance/parking area on Hanshaw Road. It seems to spend
most of its time in the middle of this field, where it's challenging to
hear from the dirt road, but sometimes comes closer. A better
strategy might be to walk along the north side of the field (behind all the
houses on Hanshaw) and then walk south along the west side of this field,
at which point it would be to your east somewhere in the middle section.
The area it seemed to favor was at around this point: (42.4650190,
-76.4593958), although it would move farther north and south from there as
well. Its metallic song is distinctive but not conspicuous, though it does
carry a good distance, luckily. It stayed distant last night but this
morning I was able to get a look at the bird and a better recording:
https://ebird.org/atlasny/checklist/S71773101

Cheers,
Jay

--