An interesting fact I just now read. I'm wondering if anyone cares to shed
further light on this:
"Several recent studies show that wild birds transport ticks and their
associated diseases during migration. Also, a number of bird species are
able to contract the bacterium (Borrelia burgdorferi) causing Lyme Disease,
and transport it to uninfected ticks that parasitize the birds for a blood
meal. Since ground-feeding species like cardinals, catbird, song sparrows
and Robin's spend a significant amount of time foraging for food at the
optimum height for ticks, they are excellent hosts and have all
demonstrated the ability to infect ticks with with the bacterium during
their first blood meal."
"Naturally Curious Day by Day......."
Mary Holland
August 19 entry