To celebrate the start of the Christmas Bird Count season, I spent the day
today (14 Dec 2020) birding at various spots in the Montezuma CBC circle. I was
joined at different times by Tim Lenz, Jay McGowan, and Drew Weber for
socially-distanced birding. In a testament to the incredible birding
opportunities in the area, we collectively tallied just over 14,000 individuals
of 67 species.

Tim and I started the morning at Cayuga Lake State Park
(https://ebird.org/atlasny/checklist/S77470419), where we found 14 species of
waterfowl. Tim also picked out 15 Bonaparte's Gulls, which were a nice
surprise. From there, Tim headed to the NYS Chiropractic College, where he had
650 Snow Geese, a Northern Mockingbird, and an American Kestrel. I drove up
Lower Lake Road, where I came across a tight flock of 84 Ruddy Ducks.

After that, I headed up to the western side of Howland Island
(https://ebird.org/atlasny/checklist/S77478312), where I spent a few hours
walking around on the trails. It was a woodpecker wonderland there! I observed
all six species of regular woodpeckers (including an uncommon-in-winter
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker) with Hairy Woodpecker and Northern Flicker
particularly vocal and conspicuous. At this point in the day, it felt almost
balmy, so seeing five Yellow-rumped Warblers, two Belted Kingfishers, Great
Blue Heron, and a Winter Wren fit in with the warmish weather.

>From there, I made my way to the Montezuma NWR Visitors Center
>(https://ebird.org/checklist/S77481467), where I met up with Jay and Drew. The
>highlights there were the large numbers of waterfowl visible on the Main Pool
>(with the help of the scope), and the ~50 Sandhill Cranes in the pool right at
>the Visitors Center.

At that point the weather started to get colder, and it started to really feel
like winter. But we continued on to check several popular spots in the greater
Montezuma area, including East Road/Knox-Marcellus (234 Sandhill Cranes, 145
American Robins, and a late Savannah Sparrow), Armitage Road (Trumpeter Swans
and a Rough-legged Hawk), Savannah Mucklands (another Rough-legged Hawk and an
American Kestrel), and Van Dyne Spoor Road (more Trumpeter Swans and Sandhill
Cranes).

We ended the day at Morgan Road, where we hoped to spot Short-eared Owls that
have been seen between there and Carncross Road recently. Instead, we were met
by a brief squall that made it hard to see much of anything. Eventually,
though, it cleared up, but the Short-eared Owls never appeared. But, two Great
Horned Owls made up for it by briefly duetting as it grew dark. All in all, it
was a great day to be out birding!

This website contains a great tool for aggregating eBird checklists from a
Christmas Bird Count or any other set of checklists that you might want to add
up: http://iba.torontobirding.ca/ Our cumulative totals for the day are
included at the end of this email.

Good birding,
Matt Medler