Today we conducted a brief survey at the Montezuma Refuge (Wildlife Drive
only) while also looking for the locations of some possible new eagle
nests. In addition to a good number of ducks (mostly mallards, blacks, ring
necks, a few geese and one redhead), we encounterd over 1000 swans - mostly
tundra with some trumpeters as well. Most were simply sitting on the ice
and many appeared to be sleeping. A number of young were among the larger
group. So I'm wondering if their presence in mid-January is simply a
testament to the mild winter we've had thus far?  Will more severe weather
send them packing? Have they given up the thought of Migration this year?
Thoughts, opinions, musings all appreciated.
Thank you.
Pete Sar