Several days ago a coopers hawk stood (in a couple of inches of flowing water)
in the creek along Lake Ave. in Ithaca for maybe 15 minutes. A handful of
people stopped to gawk and take photos. I walked across a nearby bridge and
approached from the other side. It flew away well enough, but it looked like
some of its tail feathers were mussed up.

On Sunday, January 17, 2021, 12:36:31 PM EST, Tim Gallagher <t...@cornell.edu>
wrote:

I observed something interesting this morning while walking my dog on Main
Street in Freeville. I heard the food-begging call of a Cooper's Hawk coming
from the front of a house just past a big hedge. I carefully peeked past the
hedge and spotted the bird, a juvenile female Cooper's Hawk, sitting on the
porch rail and facing the house. Perhaps it saw its reflection in the window
and was calling to it. Anyway, it took off, flying across Main Street and
disappeared between some houses along the creek.

Last month, on December 6, I saw something similar—but this time it involved an
adult female Cooper's Hawk and a juvenile male, which was following her around
through the trees beside some houses and calling like the one this morning. I
thought at the time that December seemed very late for a young hawk to be
following its parent around, begging for food. I'd only heard that call before
in the late spring and summer around Cooper's Hawk nests.

Has anyone else heard Cooper's Hawk food-begging calls in the winter?

Welcome and Basics

Rules and Information

Subscribe, Configuration and Leave

Archives: