After a couple year hiatus in which the Freese Road fields across from the
gardens have been mowed late in the season allowing at least Bobolinks to be
done with their nesting and for grassland birds to be lured into a false
feeling of security so they have returned and I’ve counted three singing
meadowlarks for the first time in years,  Cornell has returned to early mowing
there as of today. And so the mayhem ensues. How many more multitudes of birds
will die before we believe our own eyes and ears. Mow the grass while it’s
still nutritious but are we paying attention to who is being fed. Grass taken
from the land to pass through animals and in that inefficient process turning
to food for humans.

Linda Orkin
Ithaca NY