Thanks, Donna.

Anne knows about redwing specifics!  July 4 just gets on the downside of peak
for redwings, who are pretty early returnees.  As mentioned bobolinks seem
later. I suspect many sparrows go later and renests remain at risk.  july 22
would be much safer but a lot harder to get farmers to agree to.

It’s a hard trade off.  A late July 1st-cutting will probably deny farmers a
good second cutting that many take around here. And of course early cutting <
May 14 in an unusual year of early growth would take out early nests and leave
avian-everyone with no structure to nest in just when they are ready to do so.

What happens to all these dates with climate change is anyone’s guess!
Everything—different nesting species, different crops including different
grasses—does not just move earlier.

It is a wicked problem.

Sent from my iPhone