Hi everyone,

Very, very well put Ken. It is indeed a significantly tricky balance. My
partner and I are organic grain (and hay) farmers in the Ithaca area (~1400
acres, involving numerous large fields), who make our living 100% from farming.
We would also consider ourselves bird enthusiasts, and regular birdwatchers,
who do our best to be sensitive to environmental and biodiversity issues (part
of the reason that we farm organically). Not only that, I own and ride horses.
The Venn diagram in this case is profound!

But seriously, my point is to stress how well you expressed the various sides
of the issue, and directed the passion that people are expressing toward having
a positive impact. And that Thor and I are real-life, local farmers trying to
do our best in this balancing act and are open to talking with anyone about
these issues. We have a lot of experience with conservation programs in the
Farm Bill (NRCS and FSA), and would be happy to talk with other farmers (or
anyone) about them.

You offered some great ways for individuals to have an input. One point that I
would like to add to this discussion is the actual price of food. People want
food that is inexpensive - and we should all be able to afford good, healthy
food!! - but food that is produced in ways that incorporate conservation
methods is probably going to cost more. How you shop and where you spend is one
way that you can have an impact.

So much to say about this. Feel free to get in touch!
Appreciative of all the concern,
Rachel and Thor