I celebrated Sandy Podulka’s find of a juvenile Yellow-crowned Night-Heron at
Taughannock Falls State Park that so many of us saw. I still do.

I said one of the previous Tompkins sightings of the species was an adult along
Fall Creek in Freeville. That was in 2018. Today Tom Schulenberg noticed
something in eBird that I had overlooked (Thank-you, Tom!). There was a second
similar sighting of an adult along Fall Creek in Freeville, this time
specifically in Mill Dam Park, THIS YEAR, on May 31 by Gwen Gallagher and a
second person not named in the eBird report. Each of those reports has a photo
of a beautiful calm bird watching the person. So that’s the newly corrected
2021 Cayuga Lake Basin First Record for the species. This is also cool, because
the earlier record was not a single fluke event. Maybe it’s annual, or a pair,
or breeding, or the source of the juvenile(s) downstream at Cayuga Lake.

Meanwhile, this evening Sandy relocated the juvenile Yellow-crowned Night-Heron
in Cass Park in a Willow along the lower reaches of Linderman Creek near where
it crosses NYS-89 opposite Cove Lane. Maybe there’s better hunting there than
in the soccer field floodles!

- - Dave Nutter