From: bounce-125854343-3493...@list.cornell.edu
<bounce-125854343-3493...@list.cornell.edu> on behalf of Dave Nutter
<nutter.d...@me.com>
Date: Tuesday, August 24, 2021 at 4:40 PM
To: CAYUGABIRDS-L <cayugabird...@list.cornell.edu>
Subject: [cayugabirds-l] Québécois gull
Last Saturday afternoon at Myers Point I noticed one Ring-billed Gull (among
hundreds present) whose left leg had a blue band marked with “TEJ” in white. I
reported this sighting to reportband.gov<http://reportband.gov>, and today I
learned a little about the bird:

It’s a male who was banded as an adult in 2020 on June 26, which means it was
hatched in 2017 or earlier.

The folks who banded it were from the Biological Sciences Department of the
University of Quebec at Montreal.

The banders did not travel very far for this field work. The location was north
latitude 45 degrees, 45 minutes and west longitude 73 degrees, 25 minutes,
which is in the St Lawrence River a short distance downstream (northeast) of
the City of Montreal.

According to Google maps this point is close to an uninhabited island called
Île Beauregard. Islands and shoals can shift, so maybe it wasn’t worth getting
more precise with the location. My guess is that Ring-billed Gulls breed on
that island. Anyway, it’s interesting to me to see where some of “our” gulls
spend at least some of the breeding season.

- - Dave Nutter
Subscribe, Configuration and
The Mail