Saturday morning (4/30/22) was a very productive and enjoyable day to lead a
Cayuga Bird Club bird walk along the Town of Dryden Rail Trail, despite the
chilly start to the morning.

The walk was lead by me (Chris Tessaglia-Hymes) with co-leaders Bob McGuire,
Stephanie Herrick, and Paul Anderson. Thanks to Bob McGuire for handling the
pre-registration logistics.

A total of 32 of us walked from the Freeville Village Hall south along the Town
of Dryden Rail Trail, toward the George Road parking lot which is a little over
a mile away. For those who completed the entire walk, we traveled a little over
a 3 miles round-trip over the course of 4 hours, and we collectively spotted
(or heard) a total of 50 species of birds.

The highlight of the walk was seeing two of three vocal Virginia Rails at the
edge of the small cattail marsh near the base of the east side of the rail bed,
about 100 yards north of the turnoff to the Freeville water treatment plant and
pond. Three different birds were heard giving their grunting calls and two were
observed mating briefly and at least one was seen very well by everyone. The
pun by the end of the walk was that "we saw a Rail from the rail bed of the
former railroad, now Rail Trail."

Thanks to everyone for signing up and coming along. Get out and enjoy other
open sections of the Dryden Rail Trail, as migrating birds continue to pass
through the area this spring!