I received a report from Sara Jane Hymes that on Sunday morning (11/13) while
on her morning walk (for exercise, not birding), there had been an unidentified
white egret hunkered among gulls and geese in the horse pasture located to the
east of Pine Tree Road, about opposite the Oxley Equestrian Center (~220 Pine
Tree Rd).

Unfortunately, no pictures were taken and I learned about it so late in the day
that there were only a few gulls remaining by the time Diane and I stopped by
yesterday afternoon. There were two other bird watchers who had stopped at the
time that Sara Jane walked by (who also were without binoculars) who recognized
the unusual bird as an egret, and were trying to determine leg color to narrow
down the identification to species.

Given the field location and habitat, historical records, and knowledge that
there had been a Cattle Egret reported from Armitage Road in Wayne County, NY
(north of us) as recently as 11/10; and, after having gotten a general
description from Sara Jane, it seems plausible that this was a Cattle Egret
(possibly even the same individual sighted up near Montezuma recently).

A brief check of that Pine Tree Road horse pasture again this morning resulted
in only a flock of gulls which were mostly Herring Gulls and a few Ring-billed
Gulls, but included a single Lesser Black-backed Gull (standing at the
periphery of the flock). Also, there was a single Great Black-backed Gull atop
the Oxley Equestrian Center building. A small group of Canada Geese were
foraging near the gull flock in the field as well.

Sincerely,
Chris T-H

--
Christopher T. Tessaglia-Hymes — Field Applications Engineer
K. Lisa Yang Center for Conservation Bioacoustics, Cornell Lab of Ornithology