This morning Ken Kemphues and Diane Morton led a Cayuga Bird Club field
trip at the south end of Cayuga Lake. The highlight of the morning was our
stop at East Shore Park. Ken Kemphues first spotted the female Harlequin
Duck with a small group of mallards. Everyone else in our group of 8 were
able to quickly get on this unusual duck -- a life bird for several people!
We were all able to watch this bird for an extended period of time.

Thanks to Dave Nutter for sending out the rare bird alert. The rest of our
morning was very enjoyable, with a Merlin at Myers Point, Red-breasted
Merganser at Salt Point, American Kestrel and Northern Harrier at Lake Road
on the way to Long Point, and a few loons scattered on the lake. But seeing
that Harlequin Duck was an especially joyful moment of the trip!

We hope this duck sticks around so that others have the opportunity to see
it!

Diane and Ken