Hello Geneseebirders and Cayugabirders,

I received a call this afternoon from Ann McMican about her experience visiting
a Canandaigua home where a sizable flock of Evening Grosbeaks have been feeding
for several days. The home is at 5340 South Hill Road in Canandaigua, and is
listed on eBird.

Apparently birders have worn out their welcome here. Despite being open to
having a few birders visit as recently as yesterday, the homeowner now does not
want strangers on her lawn or in her driveway. She gave Ann quite a lecture
about potential liability if someone were to be injured, the rudeness of people
showing up without permission, and more. She did say that people could contact
her ahead of time if they wanted to visit, but she did not provide any contact
information to make this possible aside from her street address.

As the birds cannot be seen from the road, this severely limits opportunities
to view them at this location. It’s probably best if we look for Evening
Grosbeaks in other locations where they have been seen this winter.

Just a word of warning from your friends at the Rochester Birding Association.
Good luck and good birding.

Randi Minetor
President, Rochester Birding Association

Randi Minetor (she/her)
Author and freelance writer
585-737-3449 mobile
writerra...@gmail.com