Well documented that GH Owls take skunks.  Saw it at our rural property.  Seems reasonable.

Paul Schmitt
Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 17, 2023, at 12:02 PM, Colleen Richards <cl...@juno.com> wrote:

The following occurred out-of-basin, but it was such an interesting behavior that it seems worth sharing.

My mother-in-law saw a "large hawk" (she did not identify further) fighting something on the edge of the road about 200 feet away. She couldn't see what was being attacked, so she later sent someone to look at the area. They returned to report their findings, "about ten hawk feathers were scattered in a 3 foot circle....and a rear leg and the scent sack of a skunk..."

Wondering whether the hawk attacked the skunk directly or had initially been after other prey!

This happened up in Oswego County not far from Derby Hill.

Colleen Richards