This morning at around 8:30 there was a single Black Vulture at the Tompkins
County recycling center (there may have been others as there was a tree of
vultures out behind the center).  What I found interesting is where the black
vulture was.  It was sitting on top of the Fork Over Tompkins trailer doing its
best to tear out the top vent. I don't know if there were any food scarps left
in the trailer, but I am sure it was emanating an wonderful odor.  The vulture
was using its beak to try to pry through the slats of the vent as well as
hooking its bill under them and trying to rip it up.  In the few minutes I
watched, it was not been successful in the least.

Closer to home in Freeville, Chipping Sparrows, Eastern Towhee, and House Wren
are all back on territory. Ruby-crowned Kinglets have been around for a few
days as well.  A pair of Juncos has been busy rejuvenating a previous years
nest.

-Andrew Miller