A Merlin pair has been noticeable around the upper village during April
(single bird first noted on March 16), but it appears that they have not
yet begun to nest. For the last several days, they have been doing a lot of
vocalizing in the immediate vicinity of my house, on the block bounded by
Bradley and Strowbridge Sts, and the county line division East Seneca Rd.
Today I got extended scope views of the female grooming itself on its
favorite perching tree of late, a black locust along the easterly side of
Bradley north of #36. It was doing the majority of the "whinnying", with
the male responding with sharp and short "kip" calls per Pieplow, which he
names as a courtship or pair contact call.
Twice I have seen the male fly right at the female on its perch, but
immediately the female has flown out without apparent contact.
One of the norway spruce trees that was being favored today had been
recently visited by a crow pair with nesting material, but there was no
sign of them today.
Jared Dawson
Trumansburg