Most of the eBird reports of Yellow-crowned Night Heron in the Cayuga Lake
Basin have been of juveniles in the summer.

There is one report of an adult in April 2009 seen on a single day next to the
Clyde River at Mays point, Town of Tyre. There is also a report of one adult on
private property in Waterloo from late March through the end of June 2006.
Other than the Freeville sightings, that is all there is for springtime or for
adult birds.

To me, it seems likely that an adult would only stay for the spring (as 2006 in
Waterloo) or show up repeatedly in spring and be seen various months (as in
Freeville) if it was breeding. It would be very cool to verify breeding for the
Atlas. But, it would only be cool if the bird(s) aren’t disrupted.

I recall when a juvenile was found by the marina at Taughannock Falls State
Park. It spent a long time up in a tree while satisfied birders stood nearby
below, talking to each other and no longer even looking at the bird. It wasn’t
until the people drifted away that the Yellow-crowned Night-Heron came back
down to the grassy shore of the marina and resumed devouring Crayfish. Was the
bird tolerant of people? Only kinda. It was hungry, and loath to leave a good
food source, and keeping a safe distance. A bird that stays in a tree may just
be waiting for the people to leave (as non-birders do) so it can get on with
its business.

Yellow-crowned Night-Heron is noted for being more nocturnal than the
Black-crowned Night-Heron and for specializing in eating crabs. In MD I’ve seen
adult Yellow-crowned Night-Heron in April wading in a creek in daytime. As Lea
wrote, she has seen one in Fall Creek eating a Crayfish. Why would it leave the
creek to eat worms on a field during daytime? Maybe high water made feeding in
the creek difficult. Maybe to get enough food for breeding - egg laying, or
feeding while taking a shift off from incubating, or feeding young.

The satellite view of the area in Google Maps seems to show a lot of wild
undeveloped land along & near Fall Creek, so a mate on a nest could be anywhere
within half a mile, yet that playing field has been attractive to it lately.
Please give it space. And if you prowl around looking for a mate or a nest,
again please give them space. Please, if you find a nest, take the quick bad
photo, don’t approach more, & leave promptly. If there is a way to watch a nest
through a scope from a long distance, that would be way to do it.

Also, if anyone wants to compare the markings & plumage in all the recent
Freeville photos to see if it’s actually 2 birds, that would be cool.

- - Dave Nutter