That osprey nest near Buttonwood Winery is the one I reported last weekend or
so! There was an osprey on the perch but I didn’t see any nest building action
although it looked as if there were some nest materials already there.

Deb

From: bounce-127403015-83565...@list.cornell.edu
<bounce-127403015-83565...@list.cornell.edu> On Behalf Of job121...@verizon.net
Sent: Monday, May 8, 2023 4:08 PM
To: CAYUGABIRDS-L <cayugabird...@list.cornell.edu>
Subject: [cayugabirds-l] MNWR Purple Gallinules 4 May 2023

Sorry for the late post. Last Thursday, 4 May 2023, daughter Becky & I saw 2
purple gallinules at MNWR in the first "pool" after the turn along the Thruway.
We spent that afternoon checking on osprey nests for Candace Cornell's project
& found new ones down the west side of Cayuga Lake.
The one reported near Buttonwood Winery on Rte. 89 is actually the Dean's Cove
nest which I found first, according to my records, on 27 April 1999! The
original occupied nest was atop the bare utility pole cross-arm. After NYSEG
put a riser platform on the pole, the ospreys never again built a nest on it
until the end of this April. We had been down that way on 1 May  & saw one of
the birds carrying grass to line the nest. Whoopee!!  Finally.  On 4 May, both
birds were on the nest.

We saw a VERY rare sight, on our travels ... a female pheasant.
Becky also saw a big brown bat here at home.
A calling male pheasant was again up behind our house on Sat. a.m..

Fritzie, in sunny Union Springs, NY

Fritzie B
Union Springs.NY
Subscribe, Configuration and