A male LONG-TAILED DUCK in breeding plumage has been in the pond at
Brooktondale’s University Sand and Gravel pit for the last week.  I first
noticed it last Monday the 15th, and I’ve checked every couple of days since
then, each time expecting not to find it, but finding it there every time, most
recently about 5:00 PM this afternoon.  I’m surprised all the digging, gravel
sieving, and other workday disturbances at the pit haven’t scared the bird away.

Maybe the bird will stick around longer.  If you’d like to check, go to the
Brookton Store, turn south onto Valley Road, proceed uphill to University Sand
and Gravel’s office, then turn onto Beaver Creek Road and proceed a few hundred
feet until you get a good look down at the far side of the pond.  Every time
I’ve seen the duck it’s been just beyond the gravel bar that divides the pond
in two.  I’d recommend stopping by after working hours

Best wishes,

– John

P.S.  Why no photos or at least an eBird report?  Except for Merlin, I do my
birding the old-fashioned way, with identification on the fly.