This morning I biked up to the east edge of the Town of Ithaca on a successful
quest to see the Red-headed Woodpeckers whose nest with young was located by
Tom Schulenberg over 2 1/2 weeks ago. I was able to scope and photograph
through a small gap in foliage at a respectful enough distance that: the adults
came to the nest hole several times to feed one or more unseen nestlings; one
adult went entirely inside the cavity at least twice; for awhile in between
feedings a large nestling peered out of the cavity, appearing well-feathered on
its head and seeming large enough to be ready to fledge soon. The feedings were
frequent enough that I think the adults were only feeding at the cavity, but
once I located the cavity, I was not looking around to see if they were also
feeding any fledglings. Tom has noted plumage differences between the two
adults when they visit his feeders. I noticed that one of the adults appeared
immaculate, with bright white secondaries and a solid crimson crown. The other
adult had a slight rusty tinge on the secondaries, several brown stains on the
lower breast plumage, and a patch of feathers apparently missing from the rear
of its crown; this was the adult who went inside the cavity each of the two
times I was able to tell.

My question, for those of you more knowledgeable or research-oriented, is this:
Does the difference in plumage I noticed indicate who is which sex? For
instance, does the female spend a lot more time in the nest cavity than the
male, thus become more likely to get stained? Does missing feathers on the back
of the head indicate a female? That is, do mating male woodpeckers grab the
back of the head of females, similar to mating ducks? Or is this patch of
apparent missing feathers due to something else?

A link to my eBird checklist, with photos, is below.

- - Dave Nutter