From: bounce-127800163-3493...@list.cornell.edu
<bounce-127800163-3493...@list.cornell.edu> on behalf of Diane Morton
<dianegmor...@gmail.com>
Date: Monday, October 2, 2023 at 11:26 AM
To: CAYUGABIRDS-L <cayugabird...@list.cornell.edu>
Subject: [cayugabirds-l] Two Red Knots and a Magnolia Warbler- spring Motus
detections at Myers Point

Cayuga Bird Club's Motus station at Myers Point has detected 8 migratory birds
this year. Sometimes it takes a while before the detection is connected with
others to show a bird’s flight track. That is the case for two Red Knots and a
Magnolia Warbler detected in May by our Myers Point Motus station, which now
have migration maps available at motus.org<http://motus.org/>.

Some Red Knots fly as far as 9000 miles during their migration from South
America to their breeding grounds along arctic coastlines and tundra in Canada.
One of the Red Knots that we detected at Myers Point flew all the way from
Argentina! The bird was tagged on April 19, 2023, at Golfo San Matias on the
coast of Argentina, part of a Canadian study of long-distance Red Knot
migration. Because there are still very few Motus stations in South America to
follow migrating birds, the next detection of the bird following its release
was nearly a month later, at Chincoteague VA. The bird was also detected by
other stations on Assateague Island that evening. Then on the evening of May
28, the bird was detected by Motus receivers near Philadelphia, followed by our
Myers Point station at 1 a.m. May 29, and by Montezuma NWR and Ontario stations
the same night. The most recent detection of the bird was at Hilliardton
Ontario, north of Algonquin Park, later that day.  It is likely that the bird
continued further north for the breeding season. Map:
https://motus.org/data/track?tagDeploymentId=49283.

The other Red Knot detected by our Myers Point receiver flew by on May 19 at
approximately 1:10 a.m. This bird had been tagged May 9 on the coast of South
Carolina, moved northward along the coast past two more Motus stations that
week, and then began heading northward at a faster rate. It was detected at
Poplar Island MD (Chesapeake Bay) at approximately 9 p.m. on May 18, and later
that night at Myers Point and at Montezuma NWR on its way north. The last
reported detection for the bird was at Eganville, Ontario at 4 a.m. May 19,
just 7 hours after its detection at Poplar Island.

Map: https://motus.org/data/track?tagDeploymentId=48589.

The distance this Red Knot traveled in one night, from the Chesapeake Bay to
Eganville ON, was more than 470 miles (780 km) in 7 hours. This works out to a
speed of approximately 67 mph or 21 meters/second! A recently published study
of Red Knot migration by Felicia Sanders’s group in South Carolina found that
the average speed of Red Knots during spring migration is 20 meters/second. For
more information on Red Knot migration, and how Motus tracking has been used to
study it, see Spring migration patterns of red knots in the Southeast United
States disentangled using automated telemetry. Sci Rep 13, 11138 (2023).
https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-023-37517-y.

Red Knots are rarely seen in the Finger Lakes, and if one is spotted, it is
usually during its fall migration. It is interesting to learn that some Red
Knots are flying up Cayuga Lake in the spring on their way north. Motus
tracking of Red Knots will help to identify critical stopover habitats for
these and other long-distance shorebird migrants.

Another Motus detection map that has recently become available is for a
Magnolia Warbler that we detected at Myers Point on May 16. Magnolia Warblers
breed in the northeastern US and southern Canada and winter in Central America
and the Caribbean. This warbler was tagged in Ohio on May 10, and was detected
by other Motus receivers in Ohio and Pennsylvania as it headed northeast. It
was detected at Myers Point at 12:30 am on May 16 for just a minute on its way
to Montreal and then to the St Lawrence  River at the Gaspé Peninsula (May 19).
No later detections have been reported.

Map: https://motus.org/data/track?tagDeploymentId=46547

To read more about birds we have detected with Cayuga Bird Club’s Motus
receivers at Myers Point and at Mount Pleasant, go to
www.cayugabirdclub.org/motus<http://www.cayugabirdclub.org/motus>.

Diane Morton

Cayuga Bird Club
Subscribe, Configuration and