From: bounce-127974946-82496...@list.cornell.edu
<bounce-127974946-82496...@list.cornell.edu> on behalf of Paul Anderson
<fish...@gmail.com>
Sent: Monday, January 15, 2024 11:38:48 AM
To: CAYUGABIRDS-L <cayugabird...@list.cornell.edu>
Subject: [cayugabirds-l] Final numbers from 2024 Christmas Bird Count

All:

After some late additions and some forensic investigation of sightings, I've
finally settled on what I believe will be the final numbers from the count.

It was an epic year. We had a total of 97 species on the day and a
record-breaking 107 for the week (previous record was 104 in 2008.) 47540
individual birds were observed by 159 humans.

New species for the count were Wilson's Warbler, Northern Parula and Trumpeter
Swan.

We had record high counts (or ties) for the following species:

  *   Cackling Goose
  *   Canada Goose
  *   Trumpeter Swan
  *   Red-throated Loon
  *   Common Loon (tie)
  *   Golden Eagle (tie)
  *   Barred Owl (tie)
  *   Short-eared Owl
  *   Red-bellied Woodpecker
  *   Hairy Woodpecker
  *   Pileated Woodpecker
  *   Merlin
  *   Tufted Titmouse
  *   Brown Creeper
  *   Golden-crowned Kinglet
  *   Ruby-crowned Kinglet
  *   Gray Catbird (tie)
  *   Chipping Sparrow
  *   Dark-eyed Junco
  *   White-throated Sparrow
  *   Song Sparrow
  *   Northern Cardinal
  *   American Goldfinch
  *   European Goldfinch (tie)

Full details are in the spreadsheet which can be found
here<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1orJOduCB4GKq7JlF0jJMIoHaC7O33EgZ46Yb8f0-ojo/edit?usp=sharing>.
 If anyone has any last-minute corrections, let me know before I submit the
numbers to Audubon (in about a week).

I've found a volunteer to take over this role next year, so this is my last
report. It's been fun doing this!

-Paul

Subscribe, Configuration and
The Mail
ABA<https://www.aba.org/birding-news/>

(copy & paste any URL below, then modify any text "_DOT_" to a period ".")