Last night, for the second night in a row, I was able to spot at minimum two
(2) SHORT-EARED OWLS at the Airport.

They were seen at varying times and distances, foraging over the fallow fields
within the confines of the Ithaca Tompkins International Airport, as viewed
from Snyder Road behind the airport.

Best vantage point seems to be where the fence makes a 90° bend and heads due
south.

One distant individual at 5:25pm and two nearby, yipping and barking at 5:50pm.
I was joined by Keigan Case for the fortuitous display by the latter two birds.

It seems that while solo, the forage fairly low over the fields and can be
difficult to spot. Once there is interaction occurring, they will elevate and
become more noticeable against the sky.

Have patience and keep scanning…

https://ebird.org/checklist/S160297866 (2 @ ~5:40pm, overcast)

https://ebird.org/checklist/S160374518 (1 @ 5:25pm, 2 @ 5:50pm, overcast)

Sincerely,
Chris T-H

--
Christopher T. Tessaglia-Hymes — Field Applications Engineer
K. Lisa Yang Center for Conservation Bioacoustics, Cornell Lab of Ornithology

--

(copy & paste any URL below, then modify any text "_DOT_" to a period ".")