Hi Kevin,

It's the largest type 4 irruption in the northeast in at least 25 years,
and it's one of the top three Type 2 irruptions in the same time period. We
often have a few type 2 around in the northeast most years. The numbers
this year are impressive though.

Matt

On Tue, Apr 2, 2024 at 1:20 PM Kevin C Packard <kc...@cornell.edu> wrote:

> Hi fellow birders,
>
>  I've been having some success in finding red crossbills recently, mainly
> where the Finger Lakes Trail crosses Michigan Hollow Rd (the N crossing of
> the two at the creek), but also today on the FLT near where it crosses
> Travor Rd in Danby. Jay McGowan was kind enough to tell me that I had been
> observing both Type 2 and Type 12 crossbills at Michigan Hollow. I'm
> curious if this is considered an irruption year for this species.  Whether
> or no, it's quite satisfying hearing (and today finally getting good looks
> at)  crossbills. Happy birding!
>
> Cheers,
>
>  Kevin Packard
>
> PS: Be advised that the Michigan Hollow location is much more accessible.
> Travor Rd is driveable is you have a jeep or similar good ground clearance
> vehicle that does not mind poor dirt roads. I don't, so I just walked the
> FLT from S Danby Rd (2.5 miles round trip) instead. Ebird lists at
>
> https://ebird.org/checklist/S166817133 (Michigan Hollow, April 1)
>
> https://ebird.org/checklist/S166953165 (FLT - Travor Rd, April 2)

> Welcome and Basics
> <http://www.northeastbirding.com/CayugabirdsWELCOME.htm>
> Rules and Information
> <http://www.northeastbirding.com/CayugabirdsRULES.htm>
> Subscribe, Configuration and Leave
> *Archives:*
> The Mail Archive
> <http://www.mail-archive.com/cayugabirds-l@cornell.edu/maillist.html>
> ABA <https://www.aba.org/birding-news/>
> <http://ebird.org/content/ebird/>!*

(copy & paste any URL below, then modify any text "_DOT_" to a period ".")