Hi Pete (and Linda),
As you point out, returning adult shorebirds are already moving through in
large numbers, and indeed mid-late July can be some of the highest density
of shorebird numbers (as well as potential for unusual species) in our
area. Does the refuge have any plans to develop any shorebird habitat for
this early season? Currently things are very highly vegetated, very dry, or
very wet in most of the refuge. I know this is a complicated undertaking,
but if some unit could be disked at this stage it would open up some pretty
amazing habitat for the birds desperate for places to feed.

Relatedly, are there any plans to allow any access to some of the more
productive areas this fall (again, fall being now!) via volunteer-led walks
or opening up normally restricted areas? This has been critical in past
years for getting good coverage and documenting of less common migrant
species, as well as allowing birders to interact with and appreciate the
refuge in the same way that hunters and others do at other times of the
year. Hoping we can work something out, and the Cayuga Bird Club can
undoubtedly help arrange those if that would be helpful.

Looking forward to seeing some shorebirds at the refuge this season!

On Tue, Jul 9, 2024 at 8:29 AM Peter Saracino <petersarac...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> For those among us needing a yearly reminder.
> Pete Sar
> P.S. we are beginning to see a few species of shorebirds arriving at
> Montezuma: both flavors of yellowlegs and yesterday Reuben S. reports
> seeing some short-billed dowitchers, a solitary sandpiper and a few least
> sandpipers at Seneca Flats.
> And so it begins.....
>

> https://www.bsbo.org/timing-of-fall-shorebird-migration.html#:~:text=The%20first%20juveniles%20show%20up,through%20the%20end%20of%20November
> .
> Welcome and Basics
> <http://www.northeastbirding.com/CayugabirdsWELCOME.htm>
> Rules and Information
> <http://www.northeastbirding.com/CayugabirdsRULES.htm>
> Subscribe, Configuration and Leave
> *Archives:*
> The Mail Archive
> <http://www.mail-archive.com/cayugabirds-l@cornell.edu/maillist.html>
> ABA <https://www.aba.org/birding-news/>
> <http://ebird.org/content/ebird/>!*

Jay McGowan
Macaulay Library
Cornell Lab of Ornithology
jw...@cornell.edu

--

(copy & paste any URL below, then modify any text "_DOT_" to a period ".")