Hi Everyone,

The Cayuga Bird Club has recently upgraded the receivers at our Motus
stations at Myers Park in Lansing and at Mount Pleasant. (Thanks so much to
Bryant Dossman for his expert help!) We have had three detections of
migratory birds at Myers Park in the past two weeks.

Last night the Myers Park receiver picked up an EASTERN WHIP-POOR-WILL, at
approximately 10:45 pm. The bird was tagged in Maine on June 11, 2024, part
of the Maine Nightjar Monitoring Project, and was subsequently detected at
Bennington College in Vermont on September 23, before flying by Myers
Point.  https://motus.org/data/track?tagDeploymentId=55674.

We don't often find Whip-poor-wills in our area, and it is exciting to know
that this one flew over (detected for 1 minute 17 sec).

Our Myers Park Motus station also detected a Northern Waterthrush (tagged
in Venezuela last spring) on September 14, and a Chestnut-sided Warbler,
tagged near Montreal, the following night. Links to motus maps for these
individuals are below.

https://motus.org/data/track?tagDeploymentId=46710

https://motus.org/data/track?tagDeploymentId=59043

It will be interesting to follow the paths of these migratory birds as they
make their way south.

To learn more about Cayuga Bird Club's Motus project, go to
www.cayugabirdclub.org/motus.

Diane Morton

--

(copy & paste any URL below, then modify any text "_DOT_" to a period ".")