Vik,

I am trying to confirm if VPIM/IP can and/or should be used for Unity &
CUE networking:

I am getting mixed messages on the topic. I saw that you already
answered another forum question on the matter and stated that you can do
this, but the below 2 links (currently on CCO and other places I look
indicated that you cannot or at least should not use this method for
Unity to CUE networking:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity_exp/rel2_0/c
onfig_ex/cuexip.html

The example cited utilizes 4 IOS Gateways with NM-CUE/across 4 WAN
connections

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity_exp/rel2_0/c
onfig_ex/cuexdns.html

The example site utilizes one IOS Voice gateway and 1 Cisco Unity server
over WAN

I found another snippet on restrictions (although it's from an older
doc) below:

Limitations and Restrictions

The following considerations apply to the setting up of VPIM networking
between Cisco Unity Express and Cisco Unity:

 Each location ID (dial ID) must contain at least three digits.

Network addressing must be done through DNS (in other words, with
hostnames). Direct IP addresses can be used for networking between Cisco
Unity Express sites, but they cannot be used if any of the sites in the
network are Cisco Unity systems.

 If network broadcast messaging is used, the VPIM broadcast ID on Cisco
Unity Express must be configured to be numeric only. The default string
(vpim-broadcast) is alphanumeric and cannot be used to network with
Cisco Unity.

 Cisco Unity Express allows configuration of up to 500 sites (one local
and up to 499 remote).

A redirect server (such as sendmail) can technically be used to redirect
SMTP messages for VPIM networking between Cisco Unity Express and Cisco
Unity, but this is an untested and unsupported configuration.

 Each domain suffix must be unique within the Cisco Unity Express and
Cisco Unity sites. For example, naming the sites cue4.cisco.com,
cue6.cisco.com, and

unity.cisco.com does not work, because the suffix for all sites is
cisco.com. Instead use a scheme such as cue4.cue.cisco.com,
cue6.cue.cisco.com, and

unity.unity.cisco.com. This scheme distinguishes between the
cue.cisco.com and unity.cisco.com domains.

I am asking for your clarification/guidance on the 2 questions below:

1. Is networking Unity and CUE via the VPIM/IP method supported ?

2. Do you have any additional context or guidance on the matter?

Thanks

Mike